Monday, November 8, 2010

AP's Corner - AIHL SEASON 2011: Somebody Fire It Up! (PART 1)

So after ripping on the crowd a little in the last podcast. I've decided to do my part in helping generate more of an atmosphere at AIHL games for the coming 2011 season and in particular, with the Sydney Bears.

Read on after the jump!


Is the AIHL a Yawn Factory??
So as I've mentioned many times, I try to get to every AIHL games that I can. It doesn't matter where the game is and who is playing, I will try and be at every game in Sydney. From Newcastle to Liverpool, I just love the sport that much and if this is really the highest level I can see while living here, then I am going to be there until the end!

After podcast 4 when I mentioned about the crowd knowledge and lack of energy that an AIHL crowd can give to it's home team, I'm taking it upon myself to come up with some great half-decent ideas to get the crowds* rocking in 2011!

The many many many Sydney Bears games I've been to have often been entertaining. Entertaining as in, the players have usually delivered a game with intensity. However, I just can't seem to understand why the crowd is so silent during a hockey game, never reacting (goals aside) to any event that takes place on the ice. Often when the Sydney Bears are trying to rally, you may here 5 or 6 die hard fans start chanting "Bea-eeaarrs! Bea-eeaarrs! Bea-eearrs! I applaud you if you are one of these people that joins in with this chant. It's great to hear some crowd reaction to what is going on in the game. However as a member of the crowd, it is YOUR job to generate energy for your team to build off. You paid money to watch and more than likely, paid to watch your team win. So why not do everything in your power to ensure that is the outcome? Stick with me folks and AP will show you how you can help your team win.

Lets start with when a goal is scored. However, I will give the fans a break on this one. Cheering is almost guaranteed to be heard after a goal, and that's great! What I would love to see or hear, as it were, is for the Bears management to ensure that an after goal song is played in the arena every time a goal is scored! Might I suggest Kernkraft by Zombie Nation? Of course, only the chorus will be played. As NHL arena's have shown, this is a song that the crowd can chant to. It's simple, it's catchy and hey, it's loud! Just listen to the chorus below and you will see what I mean:


I can't say enough about how much I would love to hear this after a goal. Are you not convinced in the power of this song? How would you feel as a crowd hearing the below version? Do you think it would generate energy and get the arena rocking? You bet your ass it would! How would an opposing player feel? Would he be staring at his skates in embarrassment? I bet you are as excited as I am to hear this pumping through the Penrith Ice Palace:


NOTE TO SYDNEY BEARS MANAGEMENT: PLEASE USE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!
Even with the fake crowd noise.

I know that AIHL players aren't technically professionals, but that's no reason to let them get away with coming into your teams barn and beating them. Goalies are a fragile type. They know the fate of the game is in there hands. They know that they have to be sharp for every shot and one slip of concentration could decide the outcome of the game. So as a crowd, should they be the targets of taunts and chants? Your damn right they should be! Let 'em have it Bears fans! Trust me, our goalies have had to put up with a lot of BS on the road and it's time for some payback. Hey Bears fans, how would you like to hear something like this after our team scores a goal?


A translation of what is said:

One, two, three, four, we want mooooore goals.
Sieve, sieve, sieve, sieve, sieve, sieve, sieve,
It’s all your fault! (x4)

To offensive for you? Not offensive enough more like it! Something like this could be done: (Of course, we'll have to change the goal song)


We, as hockey fans, shouldn't be embarrassed to absolutely rip on an opposing team goaltender who lets in a goal. I mean, c'mon, how hard is it to stop a puck? If he lets a goal in he is obviously a sieve. Let me just reiterate this point to Bears fans, our players have to put up with chants and taunts on the road, so it's about time we dished it back to other players. C'MON BEARS FANS! I WANNA HEAR YOU!!

Let me know your thoughts, are we doing this or not Bears fans? Comment below!

Part 2 of this will follow soon-ish. I'm coming up with some crowd chants that are pro Sydney Bears Players.

*Crowd constitutes more than 40 people attending the game.

5 comments:

  1. Great post! Looking forward to the next instalment! Makes me want to go to a game right now and make some noise (without looking like the random crazy person in the "crowd")! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post AP! I think the problem with the crowds is the lack of direction. Surely this is going to be a helpful tool to fans all over Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think one thing the Bears can use is a crowd leader. Sydney FC has one to initiate songs/chants and can really amp up the crowd. Unfortunately Sydney FC havent been winning. However in Penrith I have a feeling similar style chanting will overpower the opposition. Lets do it! Game on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point about the crowd leader. You would think that it would only need to be done for a couple of games before it became the "culture" of the Penrith crowd. C'mon, tell your friends to get the word out there. If we make it a fun experience for everyone, the crowds will come. If our boys on the ice can't draw more people in, then maybe the crowd can? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So crowd leader is a go then. All we need are some chants? Any creative AP faithful out there?

    ReplyDelete